Coloring with Your Sponges: Reverse Masking

In today’s video, Melanie will show you how to reverse mask large stamped flowers with ink and sponges for quick pops of color and a gorgeous blended look!  Trace with water-based or alcohol markers and glitter to add more detail and shimmer if desired. I am using the camellia and a greeting from Stately Flowers 2.   A wonderful and versatile go-to for backgrounds or a single image, this technique works great with the large scale floral images in all my Stately Flowers sets, as well as A Year of Flowers and A Year of Flowers 2.

Purchase Stately Flowers 2 here:

Gina K. Designs Stately Flowers 2

Gina K. Black Onyx, Passionate Pink, Sweet Mango ink pads

Gina K. Pure Luxury Sweet Mango (4 ¼’ x 11, scored at 5 ½”) and White (4” x 5 ¼”) cardstock

Spectrum Noir markers; CG3, CG4, CR10, BP4

Wink of Stella Clear Glitter pen, Scissors , scratch paper, adhesive

For more of Melanie’s beautiful stamps from Gina K. Designs, click here:http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/category.sc?categoryId=32

AND For more inspiration from Melanie, click here for her blog:http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/

Comment by Claudia on March 19, 2015 at 5:55am

Gorgeous card!  I am going to try this wonderful technique, and I got such a laugh from your kitty, cute!  Thanks for the inspiration!!

Comment by Cheryl on March 11, 2015 at 6:55am

Kitty is so sweet.  Thanks!

Comment by Melanie, GKD Illustrator/DT on March 5, 2015 at 9:23am
You could use cosmetic sponges, too, Sandy! You can rinse them with water and rub them off on paper, but I try to have several on hand so I don't have to worry about muddy looking color on my cardstock or dirty ing my pads by mixing the colors.
Comment by Sandy on March 5, 2015 at 7:49am

Really enjoyed the lesson.  Don't think I have sponge daubers.  And how do you clean them to use different color inks.  Prob silly question.

Comment by Julie Carlisle on March 3, 2015 at 8:20pm
Purrrrfectly beautiful!
Comment by Rose Pete on March 3, 2015 at 4:46pm

Thanks for another great lesson.  I have learned so many techniques from this site.  It is really appreciated by me especially since we don't have anyone around here (at least within 200 miles) that have "classes".

Comment by Melanie, GKD Illustrator/DT on March 3, 2015 at 10:44am

thank you!

I forgot to point out on these flowers with this technique, how many shades you are getting with just the one pad!  If I hold my Spectrum or Copic chart next to that top pink flower, you see it go across about 6 different markers.  They'd be all over your desktop!  Love this!  The peony in my new Stately Flowers 9 set would be perfect for this reverse masking, cut out just the bloom, not the leaves or stem, and fill. Happy sponging!

Comment by Colleen Howell on March 3, 2015 at 10:36am

great card I will use this technique now, thanks for the tutorial

Comment by lovinpaper on March 3, 2015 at 10:34am

Love this technique!  Can't wait to give it a try.

Comment by OzzyCat on March 3, 2015 at 10:18am

Melanie, thank you for demonstrating your great technique for this beautiful card.  I love watching your videos because I always learn something new and fresh.  I can't wait to try this!!!