Applying Pencils and Pressure: Tips and Tricks

In today’s video, Melanie will show you how to quickly add color to your images with colored pencils on colored cardstock and how to give them a realistic curled and 3D dimensional effect using a stylus and a mouse pad.  Pencils are a fast and easy way to create fine detail and a textured look on your projects.  Pencils are a fast and easy way to create fine detail and a textured look on your projects. Be sure to watch the whole video as  she shows how to create a different portrait style orientation of the same design pictured above. Please enjoy! It may be difficult to see the dimension added in this top down video orientation, but it's a "wow" in real life! :)

Purchase Stately Flowers 4 here: http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/product.sc?productId=1276&categoryId=16

See all her Stately Flowers sets here: http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/p/stately-flowers-series.html

Gina K. Designs Stately Flowers 4 stamp set (CLEAR)

Gina K. Pure Luxury Lemon Drop (4 ¼” x 11, scored at 5 ½”, and scrap for flower and butterfly) Black Onyx 3 5/8” x 5 ½”) and Layering Weight White (3” x 5”)

Gina K. Black Onyx and Blue Raspberry ink ads

Spectrum Noir Primary Colored Pencil set, blending stump and Gamsol (odorless mineral spirits)

Sponge dauber, scissors, adhesive, stylus and mouse pad

For more of Melanie’s beautiful stamps from Gina K. Designs, click here:http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/category.sc?categoryId=32

AND For more inspiration from Melanie, click here for her blog:http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/

Comment by Cindy Miller on April 2, 2016 at 8:24am

Love this technique, your card is beautiful!

Comment by Dorothy Mutafopulos on March 12, 2015 at 4:38pm
Fabulous I will buy color pencils and try this .Thank you for showing me how really easy it is.
Comment by Melanie, GKD Illustrator/DT on March 12, 2015 at 2:13am
Very nice, Bonnie! Thank you for sharing. :)
Comment by Bonnie on March 11, 2015 at 1:14pm

Wrong picture, I actually did change the colors on the first post but love the technique:

Comment by Bonnie on March 11, 2015 at 1:12pm

So inspired I had to try it. You know me, very little personal changes, make what you make (sweet corn cardstock, butterfly with green colored pencil).

Comment by MaryAnn Pletcher on March 11, 2015 at 10:44am

I an going to try this. Looks great and fun to do, Thanks

Comment by Rebekka on March 11, 2015 at 8:57am

Great tutorial and beautiful card.

Comment by Rita Janz on March 10, 2015 at 10:45pm

Beautiful!  I love the tip about stamping and coloring in on COLORED card stock!  Thanks

Comment by Therese Sprinkle on March 10, 2015 at 8:36pm

Melanie thank you for sharing with us the great card you made. I have never stamped on colored cardstock either stamp for color.

Comment by Mary Anne on March 10, 2015 at 8:32pm

Hello, Diana Scott!  I put the videos I know I will be referring back to in my "favorites" on my computer.  I have a Melanie folder, Gina K folder, etc. under favorites.  Favorites lets you rename the site (for example, you could rename this one "hibiscus") if you wanted to.  I have quite a few Christmas demos I know I will be using again.  Hope this helps.