stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

Hello! Welcome to Friday Funday! Karen asked me to host this week and it as my pleasure!  However, to my slight horror and embarrassment, when I came over here to post, I realized I'd kind of confused this with the Mix It Up Monday when I prepared, totally forgetting my sample was supposed to be using the StampTV kit! Duh! ("StampTV Addicts", hello!!) Forgive me! Anyway, looking over my sample, I noticed (thankfully) you could recreate this sample and do the technique using the bold flowers and coordinating dies in the new Merry & Bright kit, ok?  Makin' it work!  Hope it inspires!! (Forgive me??)

This week I was inspired by working on my card for my latest video for StampTV, making Direct to Stamp Candy Striped Poinsettias.  There are so many gorgeous poinsettia varietals, and much as I love the deep, solid red ones, the striped and speckled ones really knock my socks because they look hand-painted! So today I thought I’d share a few with another direct to stamp technique like thumping, which has always been a favorite of mine.  You need ink pads for a base color on your bold image, and some water based markers to add the additional color to create the thumped pattern.

I found a set of Crayola make your own markers for a buck at a thrift store and though they come with inks for custom colors, I of course instead made a rainbow set with my Gina K. reinkers!  Here is the Red Velvet!  Now I don't know where you can get them for a buck but here is the same set on Amazon, and they are definitely cheaper than getting empty Copics or Spectrum Noir to use with reinkers, and draw and write so smoothly, working really well for me! Ink it up first in pale yellow like Lemon Drop and grab a red marker to dab on your pattern. I turn the stamp (this is the poinsettia form my Pressed Flowers set, that fills A Year of Flowers images) so my marks won’t always be going the same direction and vary the pressure to create both large and small blobs.  I like to put a piece of white paper under my acrylic block to help me see what my stamped image will look, and keep applying color until it looks balanced (but not too perfect!) and finished to me, huff on it with my breath to remoisten the ink if this was a long process, and then stamp. Ta da!

Look online at the many beautiful colors these poinsettias come in for ideas of what ink colors or direct to stamp technique to choose. I was delighted to learn that what I personally refer to as "candy striped poinsettias” really is called candy striped in the trade (I mean, it DOES look like that!) as well as learning that the speckled ones are called JINGLE BELL poinsettias! Love it!

To make the poinsettias fuller and more dimensional, I stamped one more bold poinsettia in Grass Green, die cut it and snipped it into 5 sections to allow me to add bunches underneath each bloom.

I added a label using my Fabulous Label die set and Fabulous Holiday Labels in these same colors, and mounted it all on a Sweet Corn card base.  Although I used the Lemon Drop pad for inking my poinsettias (picture above), I'd previously inked up this stamp with the red and pink for my video, (so the lemon turned out a bit more orange than the paler yellow I was going for), so after comparing I went with the Sweet Corn cardstock (embossed with Cuttlebug Candy Cane Stripe folder) and that actually blended quite nicely! That is a good reminder to test out other options when you have slightly tainted your coordinating colors by neglecting to clean a stamp, go with the closer match!  Important: NO Lemon Drop pad was harmed in the creation of this post, totally fine now, just sayin'! I used Apple Green Nuvo Crystal Drops for shine and dimension.

Hope you will give this technique a try with this or other bold images.  Really makes a wow, and doesn’t require a steady hand!  Very freeing, relaxing technique!

Have a lovely weekend!

Tags: Thumping, fabulousholidaylabels, fabulouslabels, fridayfunday, melanie, stamptvkit, technique

Views: 523

Replies to This Discussion

I love your project and the Jingle Bell poinsettias. That is really a wonderful way to get the green leaves all done also! Stamped and then cut apart... Love that idea! Thanks for sharing your creativity and Thank you for hosting this weeks Tutorial! <3 

Pretty great example of a quick recovery.  Love the juxtaposition of the label.

I like thumping and really like your poinsettias.  I always forget that you can cut the poinsettia in pieces for green leaves.  Thanks for the visual reminder.

Thanks for the great inspiring tutorial. Love how you created the leaves - I never think to do that. I will be having even more fun with Pressed Flowers using this technique and the one in your video from earlier this week.

Thank you, Melanie! You are such an inspiration to us all. Love your leaves - very clever!!

RSS

Get Social with us!

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service