stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

Just a fun question. What do you do first when you are going to design a card? Do you pick the paper, or the image? Or maybe something else.Would love to hear what YOU do......

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Girl, you need a craft room BIG TIME!!! Then you won't care if things are out - just close the door. It's all good!

Kathy Krug said:

You mean I am not the only one who has a shrinking work space.  I work at my 4x8 kitchen island,  At first I just used one end.  Then I was going down the length.  Then I started using the kitchen counter.  Hubby, the cook on the family, said he needed a little space to cook so I did some rearranging and moved my stamp bookcase, the one with my three ring note books where each designer has one or two notebooks dedicated to them, to my bedroom,  That way I can fill my king size bed with all the notebooks open to where I took out the stamps so I can replace them when I am done. My big shot or my cuttlebug  usually gets to hang out on my bed with the embossing folders, cutting plates, metal adapters etc.  It usually takes me half an hour  to wash my sponge daubbers, put things away, and sweep up all the bits of paper and embossing powder. My husband thinks I need a place where I could just leave things out.  That would be a disaster.  At least I know when I go to bed that all my supplies are in their designated areas and ready for another day. 

My husband said that too  Now he has suggested a small house,  Smile.  Would love to have a craft room, but not possible at this time.  In the meantime,like everyone. I make it  work.   Actually, as I think about it the same thing happened to me at work, During the day, my desk would accumulate piles of papers, memos, telephone messages etc.  Eventually, I could not see the top, but the last thing I did at night was to file everything and clean my desk for the next day.  What can I say...  old habits die hard. 

Judy Woodland said:

Girl, you need a craft room BIG TIME!!! Then you won't care if things are out - just close the door. It's all good!

Kathy Krug said:

You mean I am not the only one who has a shrinking work space.  I work at my 4x8 kitchen island,  At first I just used one end.  Then I was going down the length.  Then I started using the kitchen counter.  Hubby, the cook on the family, said he needed a little space to cook so I did some rearranging and moved my stamp bookcase, the one with my three ring note books where each designer has one or two notebooks dedicated to them, to my bedroom,  That way I can fill my king size bed with all the notebooks open to where I took out the stamps so I can replace them when I am done. My big shot or my cuttlebug  usually gets to hang out on my bed with the embossing folders, cutting plates, metal adapters etc.  It usually takes me half an hour  to wash my sponge daubbers, put things away, and sweep up all the bits of paper and embossing powder. My husband thinks I need a place where I could just leave things out.  That would be a disaster.  At least I know when I go to bed that all my supplies are in their designated areas and ready for another day. 

The image

Hi All, newbie here.  I apologize for just jumping right in here without an introduction but I didn’t see an introduction thread. 

Most times I will see a technique that I want to try which gives me a general direction that I want to go or I have a specific card that I need to make for a birthday, etc.  I will admit though, it takes me such a long time to make a card.  I will make a background paper or focal image and then I can’t decide what I want to do with it.   Which ribbon to use? Emboss or not to emboss and which embossing folder to use? I could go on.  I think I have too many great products staring at me and too many choices to make.  Quite often, as others have mentioned, I will come up with an idea as I’m laying in bed or after I walk away from my craft table.  I think my mind quiets down enough at that point to come up with something since I don’t have all my stuff staring at me.   

Andrea, I like people that just jump in and get involved! way to go!

As for your discussion of having too many options, I think that someitmes a good thing to do is self-impose restrictions. Such as: I am going to use my Distress inks on this card, or I must use that new punch I bought... etc.

That helps me sometimes and helps my stash not go unused! Thans for sharing, this is a great topic.

Self imposed restrictions... I may try that and see if that helps.  Thanks Heidi.

Heidi... said:

Andrea, I like people that just jump in and get involved! way to go!

As for your discussion of having too many options, I think that someitmes a good thing to do is self-impose restrictions. Such as: I am going to use my Distress inks on this card, or I must use that new punch I bought... etc.

That helps me sometimes and helps my stash not go unused! Thans for sharing, this is a great topic.

Your stuff stares you down, too??  Glad Im not the only one...

Andrea S said:

Hi All, newbie here.  I apologize for just jumping right in here without an introduction but I didn’t see an introduction thread. 

Most times I will see a technique that I want to try which gives me a general direction that I want to go or I have a specific card that I need to make for a birthday, etc.  I will admit though, it takes me such a long time to make a card.  I will make a background paper or focal image and then I can’t decide what I want to do with it.   Which ribbon to use? Emboss or not to emboss and which embossing folder to use? I could go on.  I think I have too many great products staring at me and too many choices to make.  Quite often, as others have mentioned, I will come up with an idea as I’m laying in bed or after I walk away from my craft table.  I think my mind quiets down enough at that point to come up with something since I don’t have all my stuff staring at me.   

I'm in the "stuff stare-down" group, LOL!  I do well with the 'I'm going to use this today' self-challenge.  In fact, I have a bunch of card stock I bought a while ago of a particular color that I really wanted to use up (so I can justify buying more Gina card stock, of course!).  That inspired me to make a whole bunch of simple "Thank-you" cards (20) in just a few days.  Not too long ago, I decided I had way too much dp, so I was on a "use your dp" mode and made quite a few cards. Or I might decide on a particular technique, and then I'll make a few cards with that.  I'm always so happy to finally have an idea, that I want to make a bunch of cards with that.  It has to be worth having used all that brain power to come up with it. That's why my gallery is prone to have  'series' of cards, LOL!

Oh yeah, and I have to put things away as I go and especially at the end of the day/project.  Maybe I've got AIADD (age induced attention deficit disorder), but if I don't do that, I can't find anything and that drives me nuts.  

Love reading all these posts.... don't feel so alone! ....lol

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a stuff stare down issue.  :)

I'm like that too, Gabi. I like to put things away and have a clean slate with each new card. Not that my craft room is that tidy, but I do like to have things put away. I get confused when too much stuff gets cluttered around. And yeah, I think I have AIADD!!!

Gabi Heinrich said:

I'm in the "stuff stare-down" group, LOL!  I do well with the 'I'm going to use this today' self-challenge.  In fact, I have a bunch of card stock I bought a while ago of a particular color that I really wanted to use up (so I can justify buying more Gina card stock, of course!).  That inspired me to make a whole bunch of simple "Thank-you" cards (20) in just a few days.  Not too long ago, I decided I had way too much dp, so I was on a "use your dp" mode and made quite a few cards. Or I might decide on a particular technique, and then I'll make a few cards with that.  I'm always so happy to finally have an idea, that I want to make a bunch of cards with that.  It has to be worth having used all that brain power to come up with it. That's why my gallery is prone to have  'series' of cards, LOL!

Oh yeah, and I have to put things away as I go and especially at the end of the day/project.  Maybe I've got AIADD (age induced attention deficit disorder), but if I don't do that, I can't find anything and that drives me nuts.  

A friend of mine mentioned to me one time that she thinks I am a "process person" instead of a "result person." She meant that I enjoy doing the craft more than I want to just have a card. I think there is something to that, but I also sometimes think of the result I want (a nicely colored card, a cool background technique) and spend the time because I know that is what it is going to take to get the result I want.

Anyhow, I think it is something interesting to think about along the lines of this thread, is the the process or the result that motivates you?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service