stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

Just a fun question. What do you do first when you are going to design a card? Do you pick the paper, or the image? Or maybe something else.Would love to hear what YOU do......

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL, So I guess I'm right there with y'all then. I go to bed thinking of how I'm gonna design the next card! Hehehe!

Judy Woodland said:

Oh my gosh, I SO do that with the middle of the night thing, Jackie. Sometimes it's when I get my best inspiration. Wonder how many other people do that........

Jackie Quintana said:

Like everyone else, if I'm working on a challenge that dictates my path or if I'm making a card for a specific person I pretty much know where I want to go. The rest of the time my path is dictated by sitting in "my room", looking at all my stuff and deciding what I want to play with. If I want to use alcohol inks that will lead me to certain stamps that lend themselves to that technique. Often I see a technique demonstrated on Stamp TV or elsewhere and will try that and then decide on paper, color etc. I bet that we all have a box of focal points that we've made and saved for later use (the more I watch Stamp TV the bigger that pile gets).  Then there are the times, in the middle of the night, that I start thinking about different techniques I want to try and while I sometimes get good ideas I really wish I would just stay asleep :)

Judy this is a great question. It's so interesting to hear how others do it. I've only made 139 cards in my life so I'm lacking experience on how it should be done. On top of that I'm very slow at making cards. Up to this point it always starts in my head and it rumbles around in there a couple of days or so. Then Zap, like lightning, one idea out of a bazillion seems like a good idea. Then I sit down and try to make that image in my head into a card. So far my cards only remotely resemble the original idea and those were because I was CASEing them. The 12 days of Christmas challenge was a really, really big challenge for me. Some of the cards even got designed in my sleep and I must admit, they looked like I made them in my sleep. lol. After a year and a half of making cards I'm still having a ton of fun at this. :)

Well, one would never know that you have only made that many cards, Carole. I LOVE your work. You have a great eye for color and design. And I, like you, am very slow too. It takes me all day to make one card, usually. Mostly because I keep changing my mind once I get started - lol. Thanks for your great reply!!!!

Carole Renneker said:

Judy this is a great question. It's so interesting to hear how others do it. I've only made 139 cards in my life so I'm lacking experience on how it should be done. On top of that I'm very slow at making cards. Up to this point it always starts in my head and it rumbles around in there a couple of days or so. Then Zap, like lightning, one idea out of a bazillion seems like a good idea. Then I sit down and try to make that image in my head into a card. So far my cards only remotely resemble the original idea and those were because I was CASEing them. The 12 days of Christmas challenge was a really, really big challenge for me. Some of the cards even got designed in my sleep and I must admit, they looked like I made them in my sleep. lol. After a year and a half of making cards I'm still having a ton of fun at this. :)

Karen, I often go to bed thinking about cards and stamps. I am glad there are others out there like me! I need to get a little notebook to sketch or write down my ideas. Maybe I will sleep better then.

I am often guilty of completely changing my mind as a project goes along. And I am usually fairly slow, although I sometimes can get a card done quickly. Then I usually have made a huge mess to clean up though!

Oh my gosh - I'm not even going there with the mess. My work space gets smaller and smaller, until I have about an 8" square to work in. I think we are all guilty of that. Too funny!!!!!

Heidi... said:

Karen, I often go to bed thinking about cards and stamps. I am glad there are others out there like me! I need to get a little notebook to sketch or write down my ideas. Maybe I will sleep better then.

I am often guilty of completely changing my mind as a project goes along. And I am usually fairly slow, although I sometimes can get a card done quickly. Then I usually have made a huge mess to clean up though!

What a great discussion. I'm pretty new at this but thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I make cards for OWH, so I pretty much use sketches. I browse the gallery here and watch all the videos. I'm also a big pinterest fan. I usually start with color, so I keep my Gina K pp in a box near me. It's been so interesting seeing some of the posts in this discussion, so I hope it goes on for awhile.

PS it takes me forever to make one card. LOL. Overthinking?

Thanks for joining in Sharon! And yeah, it takes me a long time too, and I DO over think! One of the ways I get my best inspiration is seeing what others do. That's why I love the galleries here on STV so much!!!!

Sharon Keil said:

What a great discussion. I'm pretty new at this but thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I make cards for OWH, so I pretty much use sketches. I browse the gallery here and watch all the videos. I'm also a big pinterest fan. I usually start with color, so I keep my Gina K pp in a box near me. It's been so interesting seeing some of the posts in this discussion, so I hope it goes on for awhile.

PS it takes me forever to make one card. LOL. Overthinking?

I don't think there is any particular reason to be in a hurry though. :)

I think each day it differs, sometimes new stamps inspire, new dies, an event (birthday, anniversary, etc.) Some days I have seen beautiful cards done by all of you and  I just want to TRY the technique you have used. I just got a lot of new inks and have fallen in love with the blues and greens, so colors are my first choice in papers.

Yes, I also agree.....the card in my mind is typically not the same card I put in the envelope....and 9 times out of 10 that's okay!  lol

Not usually, unless there's a deadline for a challenge or event and I have put it off - lol! If I'm not feeling inspired I sometimes drag my feet.

Heidi... said:

I don't think there is any particular reason to be in a hurry though. :)

You know, I go in spurts too. I'll be in love with a paper and get hooked on that - or a stamp - or a technique. I LOVE trying new techniques. And I think my favorite thing right NOW (haha - now) is watercolor. LOVE the effects one can get with them. And not just the paint, I also LOVE Distress Inks for watercolor stuff.

Donna said:

I think each day it differs, sometimes new stamps inspire, new dies, an event (birthday, anniversary, etc.) Some days I have seen beautiful cards done by all of you and  I just want to TRY the technique you have used. I just got a lot of new inks and have fallen in love with the blues and greens, so colors are my first choice in papers.

Yes, I also agree.....the card in my mind is typically not the same card I put in the envelope....and 9 times out of 10 that's okay!  lol

You mean I am not the only one who has a shrinking work space.  I work at my 4x8 kitchen island,  At first I just used one end.  Then I was going down the length.  Then I started using the kitchen counter.  Hubby, the cook on the family, said he needed a little space to cook so I did some rearranging and moved my stamp bookcase, the one with my three ring note books where each designer has one or two notebooks dedicated to them, to my bedroom,  That way I can fill my king size bed with all the notebooks open to where I took out the stamps so I can replace them when I am done. My big shot or my cuttlebug  usually gets to hang out on my bed with the embossing folders, cutting plates, metal adapters etc.  It usually takes me half an hour  to wash my sponge daubbers, put things away, and sweep up all the bits of paper and embossing powder. My husband thinks I need a place where I could just leave things out.  That would be a disaster.  At least I know when I go to bed that all my supplies are in their designated areas and ready for another day. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service