stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

I am looking for a new way to clean my stamps. I currently use Stampin' Up's Stampin' Scrub. The cleaning mist is fine. What I don't like is the black that comes off and trying to rinse the ink out of the pads when they are full of ink. Any ideas? Thanks, everyone.

Views: 404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use SU's scrub pad but not there cleaner. I bought a bottle of Simple Green at either Lowe's or Home Depot about 2 years ago. It's concentrated so I mix it with some water and put it in a small spray bottle. I still have about 1/4 of the bottle left. It lasts forever and I think it cost less than $5.00. Cleaning the scrub pads is another story. I use bleach cleaner spray (like you use in the bathroom). I spray some on the pad and run a small amount of water on the pad. Then I scrub really good with a dish scrubbing brush and then rinse thoroughly. If I need them right away I use some old cleaning towels to dry it as much as possible. Otherwise I put them in my dish drying rack overnight.
I used to be so diligent at cleaning my stamps. It was part of my whole stamping therapy. Now I don't clean them at all. I just stamp them off on scratch paper two or three times, then put them away. I do about 95 percent of my stamping with black ink, so when I want to stamp with a lighter ink, I clean them before stamping. I just use a little dab of Stazon cleaner on a paper towel to wipe them on.

I would probably still be cleaning like mad, but I saw Melanie, or Cammie (can't remember which) post about not cleaning her stamps, so I started to leave one dirty once in a while, and before I knew it, it became a habit.
Thanks Melissa, I'll try the bleach cleaner and save some money with the simple green.

Melissa said:
I use SU's scrub pad but not there cleaner. I bought a bottle of Simple Green at either Lowe's or Home Depot about 2 years ago. It's concentrated so I mix it with some water and put it in a small spray bottle. I still have about 1/4 of the bottle left. It lasts forever and I think it cost less than $5.00. Cleaning the scrub pads is another story. I use bleach cleaner spray (like you use in the bathroom). I spray some on the pad and run a small amount of water on the pad. Then I scrub really good with a dish scrubbing brush and then rinse thoroughly. If I need them right away I use some old cleaning towels to dry it as much as possible. Otherwise I put them in my dish drying rack overnight.
I should try this, it will be difficult though. I get the whole therapy thing. I do stamp off already, and don't clean the stamp if I've used a light color. Thanks! *grins*

Theresa said:
I used to be so diligent at cleaning my stamps. It was part of my whole stamping therapy. Now I don't clean them at all. I just stamp them off on scratch paper two or three times, then put them away. I do about 95 percent of my stamping with black ink, so when I want to stamp with a lighter ink, I clean them before stamping. I just use a little dab of Stazon cleaner on a paper towel to wipe them on.

I would probably still be cleaning like mad, but I saw Melanie, or Cammie (can't remember which) post about not cleaning her stamps, so I started to leave one dirty once in a while, and before I knew it, it became a habit.
I use Huggies Naturals baby wipes.
I use baby wipes as well. If it's a detailed image I just walk into the bathroom which is right next door and give it a good rinse and sometimes use a scrub pad. The ink I use the most is either momento or versafine and both come off no problem. If it's stazon I don't worry about it. That stuff is not coming off. I found that most of my clear stamps stained anyway so I stopped worry about cleaning them and like Theresa stamped them off. The rubber cleaned easier so I just wipe clean or rinse.
I found when I use clear stamps, just huff right after stamping the ink, and then wipe with a clean cloth and the
ink becomes active and removes.(good to remove the black right away) I also at times us the SU cleaning pad on the rubber stamps,baby wipes when I don't run out, or the liquid rubber stamp solution. the pad I just rinse until water runs clear,
not hot water, cool water.
Oh my goodness! I thought I was being lazy and breaking all the rules of being a good stamper! Glad to see I'm in good company. :) I love my stamps, I really do but I mostly just stamp them off, intending to "clean them later" and then they just pile up. I'll stop feeling guilty now, continue to stamp them off and then put them away neatly, knowing that they really will be alright like that. Is it possible however if you do not clean off the Staz on, the ink would build up and distort the image? Just wondering, becuase I have been quite diligent about cleaning that off with the Staz on cleaner.

Theresa said:
I used to be so diligent at cleaning my stamps. It was part of my whole stamping therapy. Now I don't clean them at all. I just stamp them off on scratch paper two or three times, then put them away. I do about 95 percent of my stamping with black ink, so when I want to stamp with a lighter ink, I clean them before stamping. I just use a little dab of Stazon cleaner on a paper towel to wipe them on.

I would probably still be cleaning like mad, but I saw Melanie, or Cammie (can't remember which) post about not cleaning her stamps, so I started to leave one dirty once in a while, and before I knew it, it became a habit.
Now I though after a while if you leave ink on your stamps the ink will be harder to take off? Well I clean my stamps after I am finished with each project with SU scrub pad. the solution has lasted me for a while more like a year or so. And as far as cleaning the pad all I do is put a dab of dishwashing liquid on the pad scrub it until all the color and soap comes out with the water temperature warm not hot just warm.

Susan Dominikovich said:
Oh my goodness! I thought I was being lazy and breaking all the rules of being a good stamper! Glad to see I'm in good company. :) I love my stamps, I really do but I mostly just stamp them off, intending to "clean them later" and then they just pile up. I'll stop feeling guilty now, continue to stamp them off and then put them away neatly, knowing that they really will be alright like that. Is it possible however if you do not clean off the Staz on, the ink would build up and distort the image? Just wondering, becuase I have been quite diligent about cleaning that off with the Staz on cleaner.

Theresa said:
I used to be so diligent at cleaning my stamps. It was part of my whole stamping therapy. Now I don't clean them at all. I just stamp them off on scratch paper two or three times, then put them away. I do about 95 percent of my stamping with black ink, so when I want to stamp with a lighter ink, I clean them before stamping. I just use a little dab of Stazon cleaner on a paper towel to wipe them on.

I would probably still be cleaning like mad, but I saw Melanie, or Cammie (can't remember which) post about not cleaning her stamps, so I started to leave one dirty once in a while, and before I knew it, it became a habit.
I have heard that a lot of people use baby wipes. I will be trying this after my SU spray is empty. I've heard it does not damage stamps.
What I do is stamp, stamp, stamp the stamp on a piece of scratch paper - - - keep tapping until you don't see any ink on the paper, then use the Scrub.  It works for me.

That's what I use.  I have 2 of the scrubs.  WHen one seems dirty I squirt some soap on it and hot water and scrub with my fingers a little.  Then I just let it sit upside down and dry.  I make my own cleaning mist...a copy cat recipe of the SU scrub -

SU cleaner copy cat recipe

 2 Cups distilled water
  2 T Rose Water (purchased at health store or on line at Amazon)
 1 T Baby wash (I used a generic brand)

You can then dilute this 4 parts water to 1 cleaner.  It lasts a LONG time.

I use simple green sometimes (not with the clear stamps, it's not safe)  I called them to see if it was safe...dilute 33 parts water to 1 part SG.  That's not much SG.

 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service