stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

I need help , I can't seem to find enough time to finish my projects, I work full time, with kids. You all know what I mean ( I think ) anyway if you have some idea's I would love to hear them.

Cheryl

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I make up baggies for on the go kits. Then I can grab a bag. The will have thing to cut out with a pair of scissors or things to color, with my coloring medium. I've had kits with bone folders so I can fold a stack of things and kits with the appropriate adhesive to glue things together or layer together. I've even set up kits ahead of time so I've tied a bunch of bows ahead to attach to cards. If you keep one of those travel size baby wipes with your kits it makes clean up easier. These kits are great for waiting in the car for kids to get out of school, sitting at sports practice, sitting in the doctors office (before I did this I always got angry about this wasted time), or sitting with my husband while he watches what ever he's watching n the TV. (He like me to keep him company; it's a small thing)
Hi Gina,
Thanks for your idea's, cutting, folding card bases ahead of time is great. You are right saying you don't have to think too much at that stage. All you girls are amazing, so much more organized than I am. I will get there I am sure after all your good advice.

Gina K. said:
I craft on the go. When I am sitting at swim meets, LaCrosse practice, etc... I will stamp a bunch of images and take them along with my bag of Copics and color away. If we go camping, I will do the same thing. When I am watching TV with my husband at night, I will punch or die cut a bunch of shapes on the family room floor for later use. When I have no mojo, I will stamp a bunch of different greetings and then die cut them and organize them by theme, "Thank you, Birthday, etc."

Sometimes, I will cut and fold a bunch of card bases and layer them with Patterned paper. Then, when I do have a half hour somewhere, I have tons of images, greetings and card bases ready to go and I can mix and match and assemble.

It's one way to craft around the house without having to think too much.
Hi Deborah,
That's a good idea to make baggies. I too hate wasting time (waiting ).

Deborah Woodward said:
Hi, I make up baggies for on the go kits. Then I can grab a bag. The will have thing to cut out with a pair of scissors or things to color, with my coloring medium. I've had kits with bone folders so I can fold a stack of things and kits with the appropriate adhesive to glue things together or layer together. I've even set up kits ahead of time so I've tied a bunch of bows ahead to attach to cards. If you keep one of those travel size baby wipes with your kits it makes clean up easier. These kits are great for waiting in the car for kids to get out of school, sitting at sports practice, sitting in the doctors office (before I did this I always got angry about this wasted time), or sitting with my husband while he watches what ever he's watching n the TV. (He like me to keep him company; it's a small thing)
HI Deb,
I am going to try this, I spend so much time selecting patterned paper and embellishments that I have no time left to do anything with them. I am laughing at myself at the moment because it sounds so silly. thanks for your help.

Deb Muckle said:
Well I don't know if this will help but here goes! There are times when I only have a few mins.to craft and instead of telling myself I don't have time to do anything in this short a time so why bother - I do this!
I have large baggies on hand that you can buy from Zellers and I set myself up a project in them. So in a few mins. I can pick the cardstock,(both plain and patterned and sometimes may just be scraps of), the stamp (sometimes even stamp the images out), and the embellishments that I'd like to possibly use with it, and throw it all into the baggie. That way I'm ready to either sit down when I do have a few more mins. or grab and go so I have something to do elsewhere.
I don't work full time, but am busy with my 93 year old mother in law. My most productive time is when I do my laundry. My laundry room is in the basement where my craft room is, so I just STAY there and make greeting cards until my laundry is finished. Other than that, I have a tv in my craft room (a very small one) where I can watch my favorite shows "while" I'm crafting if that's what I want to do. When I do chores in my basement, I take advantage and craft during the "down" periods. I get a lot done by doing that. I know it's different when you work full time, but that also worked for me when I DID work full time, as well, I also stamp my images or print any digital images I may want to use and have them in my dining area where I can spend time with my husband, and color the images at the same time. Then when I'm ready to make a card, the "slow" part is finished, and I only need to put the card together from CS, ribbon, flowers, or whatever from my "stash".
hi jan,
thanks for your idea's. i do know weather working out of home or in the home it's all time consuming, and being a carer is a huge job in itself. All the best with your mother in law.

Jan Ewell said:
I don't work full time, but am busy with my 93 year old mother in law. My most productive time is when I do my laundry. My laundry room is in the basement where my craft room is, so I just STAY there and make greeting cards until my laundry is finished. Other than that, I have a tv in my craft room (a very small one) where I can watch my favorite shows "while" I'm crafting if that's what I want to do. When I do chores in my basement, I take advantage and craft during the "down" periods. I get a lot done by doing that. I know it's different when you work full time, but that also worked for me when I DID work full time, as well, I also stamp my images or print any digital images I may want to use and have them in my dining area where I can spend time with my husband, and color the images at the same time. Then when I'm ready to make a card, the "slow" part is finished, and I only need to put the card together from CS, ribbon, flowers, or whatever from my "stash".
I work ft w/ 2 kids - one in sports (so far), so I know what you mean, Cheryl. I do about 15-30 min, here and there - often when dinner is in the oven and I am waiting for it to finish or whatever the case may be. The kids join me in doing their projects as I do mine sometimes (they have their own 'stash'). I finally ditched the 2 hour long, complicated, page spreadouts and go for the simpler look. I do a lot of stuff after they go to bed. I only have 2 tv shows I watch at night, and often do my crafting while watching. Finally, I try to schedule an evening once a month or every other month with some friends to hang out and "craft" - when it is scheduled with others involvement, it is much easier to keep that committment to myself, too.
6 minutes ago ·
Hi Connie,
I watch very little TV too. I live in a very rural area so there are no groups or meetings for craft people. That's why when I found this web site recently I was very excited. It really gave me a chance to see what other crafters are doing. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Connie said:
I work ft w/ 2 kids - one in sports (so far), so I know what you mean, Cheryl. I do about 15-30 min, here and there - often when dinner is in the oven and I am waiting for it to finish or whatever the case may be. The kids join me in doing their projects as I do mine sometimes (they have their own 'stash'). I finally ditched the 2 hour long, complicated, page spreadouts and go for the simpler look. I do a lot of stuff after they go to bed. I only have 2 tv shows I watch at night, and often do my crafting while watching. Finally, I try to schedule an evening once a month or every other month with some friends to hang out and "craft" - when it is scheduled with others involvement, it is much easier to keep that committment to myself, too.
6 minutes ago ·
I am rural, too, so I know how that goes. It takes at least 20 min no matter where we want to go for services and live on a 10 acre lot. Our church provides a craft night once a month - most months anyway - and I try to join those when I can work it into the schedule (you can bring any kind of craft you are working on). Good luck!

Cheryl Farnhill said:
Hi Connie,
I watch very little TV too. I live in a very rural area so there are no groups or meetings for craft people. That's why when I found this web site recently I was very excited. It really gave me a chance to see what other crafters are doing. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Connie said:
6 minutes ago ·
Hi I am in the same boat.......a rocky one!!
If there is something I really want to get finished, I leave it in the kitchen so that when I am organising tea/dinners/making a cup of tea I pick it up and do a little.
But I think the most important thing us mums should do, is not to give ourselves such a hard time. My eldest is only 7 and its took me until just a couple of months ago, to realise, that if I take even 20 mins just for me it doesnt make me a bad/selfish mum, just one thats a little bit happier!
Hi Pauline,
I understand what you are saying about us Mum's being kinder to ourselves. I know I am a better person when I have a little me time, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

pauline gilfillan said:
Hi I am in the same boat.......a rocky one!!
If there is something I really want to get finished, I leave it in the kitchen so that when I am organising tea/dinners/making a cup of tea I pick it up and do a little.
But I think the most important thing us mums should do, is not to give ourselves such a hard time. My eldest is only 7 and its took me until just a couple of months ago, to realise, that if I take even 20 mins just for me it doesnt make me a bad/selfish mum, just one thats a little bit happier!
I put dates on my calendar that "promise" myself to scrapbook. I set up invitations to a friend that scrapbooks and commit to spending that time with them working on my projects. Having a group of over 10 dedicated scrapbookers that will be scrapbooking all summer (not common in our region), I can usually find someone to "visit" with.

Friday nights are my down time - kids have video night where they can have popcorn and a special movie. Nothing else happens that night. By 7 pm they are settled in front of the tv and have one "intemission" half way through for bathroom and goodie runs. Then they are back to finish the movie and then crash in bed. My Fridays are mine.

Good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service