stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

Well, I'm still kinda new to the card making thing, and I'm blessed with a husband that indulges me with every tool, ink, stacks of paper, and anything else I show a remote interest in has a habit of appearing.

It all started with his Valentine's day card.  I had the whole thng made and finished up, and I was taking one last look at it, and I opened the card to write something inside, and without realizing it, laid it across an open inkpad, thus completely ruining it.

That was a lesson hard learned.  It takes me a long time to visualize my cards and awhile to put them together and I was pretty bummed.  So, I've been really careful about leaving inks open etc and always make sure to close my inkpads right away, and haven't had a repeat of that mess since.

Today, I was working on a sympathy card for a friend, when I finished the whole front panel and was really thrilled with the results.  I set it to the side, wiped down my ranger craft mat fairly well (or so i thought).   I took the card base I'd made, and I wanted to stamp a sentiment inside, so I did that, turned the card over, and realized there was stray ink all over the white card.  Okay, I can handle that, I thought, so I picked it up, wiped down my craft mat again, still unsure where the ink was coming from, turned it over, figuring i'd put a piece of patterned paper down to cover, and be fine.  So I was cutting my piece of paper, and I realize that whatever got all over the white card was also on the card panel and smeared... 

I'm not sure how this keeps happening to me. I try to work cleanly.  Am I just not letting stamped things dry long enough maybe?  Today's card that i'd worked on for most of the morning went in the garbage as it was totally unsalvageable at this point.

Anyone else have these types of problems or am I just a broken card maker :/

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trust me, you are not alone. Here is an example of how I got most of the way through a card and then dropped my ink pad right on top of it. This one only made it to the blog because I was able to salvage it. Most have to go straight to the trash can.

My biggest downfall is ink on my fingers. The lids of my ink pads get a lot of ink build up around the edges and I frequently get a smudge on my finger and before I know it, I rub it all over my project. Finger prints dictate the placement of my sentiments more often than I care to admit.LOL.

Hang in there!

If it is smeared on the background of a card, sometimes then I purposely add more inks to give the illusion that it was an intended background. And, then sometimes you can salvage part of the card by covering it up with something like a flower, jewel, button or even diecutting out certain parts and using just portions of the card. Sometimes I will restamp the portion that was smeared with ink, cut out that part if it is a segmented piece and pop it up on the card to look like I wanted more dimension. Always check the card over very well to see if at least part of it can't be salvaged.  And, I have a stamp that says: "If it were perfect, you would not know it was handstamped." I guess that is my motto as well.  But I think all of us have done these things now and then....so you are definitely not alone.
Oh you are sooooooooooooo not alone!  ;)  I've had to trash cards too that just cannot be salvaged!  But one thing I've noticed is my fingers tend to pick up ink....I do NOT know how sometimes.....so after I stamp and color I just make it a habit to use a baby wipe or go wash my hands.  Silly ink pads!!  LOL
LOL! I just read the cursed part...so funny! Beautiful save!

Theresa said:

Trust me, you are not alone. Here is an example of how I got most of the way through a card and then dropped my ink pad right on top of it. This one only made it to the blog because I was able to salvage it. Most have to go straight to the trash can.

My biggest downfall is ink on my fingers. The lids of my ink pads get a lot of ink build up around the edges and I frequently get a smudge on my finger and before I know it, I rub it all over my project. Finger prints dictate the placement of my sentiments more often than I care to admit.LOL.

Hang in there!

Like the others have said, NO, you are NOT alone!  It happens to all of us, and keeps happening, lol!  In answer to your question, some inks DO take longer to dry, especially the distress inks...those are the ones I always have to watch closely and considering I use them alot, yea, cards take me a LONG time to make too!  :D  

When I first started stamping, I did like you, left the ink pad open, until I decided to lean over it and stamp my boob!   LOL!   Ruined a perfectly good shirt!  so  that was how I learned my lesson to put the lids on immediately after using on the stamp!  :D

Cat you're so funny! I've ruined my share due to accidents. I made a card for my DH's son and gave it to him to sign and he messed up the inside so now I give him the lining and then attach it to the card HA. And when working with the Vivid inks it seems to get everywhere.

Well, my hubby helped me very carefully disect the card's layers apart and I salvaged almost all of it, by heavily inking around the image, which I really hadn't planned on, but was reasonable pleased with the results.  I also layered the sentiment on bigger layers and was able to hide the really huge smear of black ink that is now buried underneath.  Instead of being a more crisp/clean look this one is a little more muted but in the end, I was happy with the effort.  You can't really tell but i painted the background paper with liquid pearls and it hid most of the stray ink by softening the look quite a bit.  It doesn't translate well in the photo however.

Thank you all for your words and stories, I felt so much better after reading other people have the same problem.  I've also started keeping a couple handtowels right at my work area to clean both my mat AND my hands and everything else whether it seems to need it or not, after using inks, which seems to be helping.  My late night project last night went flawlessly using that tactic.

Does anyone have any recommendations to help keep the ends of ribbon from fraying/coming apart like they are here?

I can totally relate to that, Adetia. And like you, I think my fingers are totally allergic to white cardstock! But, I figured, life is not perfect! And neither am I! lol Most times, I just grit my teeth and try to cover the smudge as best I could. If I'm pressed for time I'd sometimes just let it go. That's the sad part in card making....
I agree with you all and yes it happens more times than any of us would like, but one thing I have noticed is it happens less to me since I have stopped using my craft mat for assembling my cards, by this I mean I have taken a leaf from Gina's book and use paper. I buy a A3 (sorry I do not know the american size) artists pad from my local pound shop, the equivalent to a dollar store, it has 6 sheets in it, and when it is grubby I turn it over thus turning my 6 sheets into 12. I find the craft mats, do exactly what they should and let the ink sit on the surface, with paper it soaks in and dries and makes it a lot easier not to transfer stray ink.

Alex- I cut up cereal boxes.  The large panels make great work surfaces, and when too inky, I grab another one.  This weight of cardboard also makes beautiful die cut, to paint or cover with patterned paper.

I also work on a 12 x 12" piece of marble tile that I bought at Home Depot for 3.99.  I added little rubber stick-on feet, to prevent it from sliding around. Any ink that stains it comes off with stamp cleaner. I never cut on the marble though.

We have the same problem too,  Fingerprints smudges all over!!! and it's always me, but get around it strategically placing an extra small stamp like an  bee or  flower and it always come out great...

If you can't save it... throw it away... make another one and keep honing those skills!

You are definately not alone!  I have a bad habit of getting smudges from my fingers.  I use a lot of small butterflies or flowers to cover up messes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service