stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

Hi You Very Talented and Knowledgeable People,

Today I had a be nice to me day. I bought the 130 Prisma Colored Pencil Set. My question is what is the best way to sharpen them. Can I use an electric pencil sharpener? I tried using the Prisma pencil sharpener but I was still dealing with broken points.

Views: 681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this information. I just treated myself to the 120 set a few days ago (using a 50% off coupon at Michaels). After seeing the colors Gina used in last week's video coloring the irises, I just had to add more colors to my collection of about 25 pencils I had already. Today I also bought an electric sharpener I saw on clearance at Target; mainly for my son to use so thank goodness I did get it because I completely forgot I have 120 pencils to sharpen. I surely don't want to do this manually, LOL.
Isn't nice to have a nice to me day, especially when we have a 50% coupon attached to it.
Gina K. said:
I use an electric sharperner on mine. Some tips will break if the leads are broken inside the pencil. I had one that I could not sharpen but most of the others worked just fine. They do recommend their sharpener but I broke the rules and used my electric with no problems.

I am soooooooo glad I read this thread. I've never had prismacolor pencils before and have them on order now. I can't wait to get them But, then I read this thread about sharpening and immediately got online and ordered an electric pencil sharpener. I wanted a good one that wouldn't eat my pencils and googled best electric pencil sharpener.....LOL I got a blog link that had actually recently reviewed them! and they said hands down the best one is panasonic KP380-BK. I found it on sale for $36.55 but, it was worth every penny. In addition, if you order with them $45.00, you get free shipping. *BIG GRIN* so, it's on it's way. So thanks gina for letting us know about this! and thanks again louise for asking.
I just bought a set of 36. I sharpened them yesterday and used a makeup sharpener. I had trouble with 3 pencils. I emailed the company today and they told me they are sending me the 3 pencils I had trouble with. Then they sent me a pdf form to tell me the correct way of sharpening their pencils. They do recommend to use electric sharpeners the first time you sharpen them. Then to keep them sharpened using a makeup pencil sharpener or theirs. Also you should not drop them or the air plays a role in the wood. Drying out or too much humidity can make them swell.
Mary Doak said:
I just bought a set of 36. I sharpened them yesterday and used a makeup sharpener. I had trouble with 3 pencils. I emailed the company today and they told me they are sending me the 3 pencils I had trouble with. Then they sent me a pdf form to tell me the correct way of sharpening their pencils. They do recommend to use electric sharpeners the first time you sharpen them. Then to keep them sharpened using a makeup pencil sharpener or theirs. Also you should not drop them or the air plays a role in the wood. Drying out or too much humidity can make them swell.

Oh! thanks for that advice! mary, can you PM me that PDF file when you get it? I would like to read it as well. Thanks so much!

I got them!! I got my Prismacolor pencils! I ordered the 2005 and 2006 colors in 12 count from Merriartists and ordered the 24 count from Joannes along with an accessories kit you see in the second pic. I've never had Prismas before and finally got my tax return check so I thought I would treat myself. I decorated the can today with my Tracy Porter DP and SU ribbon. In addition, I attached a little accessory bottle to the side. I used an Rx bottle for that and covered it also in DP and added some hemp cord to the top and bottom of it. TFL!!
I use an electric sharpener on mine. I find it does the best job of getting the pencils sharp but not breaking them. I have never had issues with a broken pencil using an electric sharpener.
I have used Prisma Colored Pencils for over 5yrs and love them both in watercolor and Prisma lead. Electric pencil
sharperner is the only what I use(Boston Electric from Dick Blick) has different sizes to use for different pencils. I
have also used Derwent pencils and Faber Castell with the electric sharpner. I don't have broken lead problems.
But be causious on how they are transported, I mean treat them with care and they will give you hours of
enjoyment. the ladies are right that humid weather can play a part in there lead performance.
If pencils are not being used, I place them in pencil boxes, or drawers where I keep extras.for things not used often. You might find that the electric eraser will be helpful too. Hope this helps.
Thank You! I Love my pencils. I also own a nice array of Copic Markers but I find myself always going back to my Prisma Colored Pencils and just love the out come. I have a 7 year old granddaughter who has her eyes on them even though I bought her the 50 pack of Crayola Colored Pencils.

I keep them in the original tin box that they come in for storage and inside a drawer. I am mindful of dropping them so they stay to the right of my desk that is easy accessible for playing.
I am not sure but at one of my classes the instructor mentioned that she would take a Prisma pencil that would not sharpen and put it in the microwave for approx. 10-20 seconds. This melts the color and then it resets. The cracks come from dropping or shipping. I have not tried this yet but if soneone does, please let me know if it works.
Thank You! so much for this information. The first 120 set I purchased had to be returned because it had been dropped and it had been dropped hard because the tin box was dented. Every pencil that I tried to sharpen would end up with a broken lead. The only thing that saved me for getting a new box was that all the boxes they had in stock were dented. I picked the best one not knowing that there would be a problem. When I requested an exchange they tired to say that maybe I had dropped the box. I quickly pointed out the dented boxes they had in stock. They apologized and order a whole new shipment before my exchange could happen.

JoAnn Sampson said:
I am not sure but at one of my classes the instructor mentioned that she would take a Prisma pencil that would not sharpen and put it in the microwave for approx. 10-20 seconds. This melts the color and then it resets. The cracks come from dropping or shipping. I have not tried this yet but if soneone does, please let me know if it works.
I have used an electic pencil sharpener on my Prisma pencils for over 5 years. works great and haven't had
touble with pencil leads breaking. Gives a great sharp point. One thing is to remember is after using your
sharpener for many pencils run a pure lead A2 pencil through to clear the cutting blandes. and then also
take the sharpener apart and brush the cutting blades to free any build up. thus will help to keep you pencils
clean and sharp. I use the electric pencil sharpener on all my pencils, watercolor, Prisma, and Faber Castell,
and Derwent pencils. No problems. Hope this helps.( remember if dropped in shipment or use this damages
the lead. )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service