stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

I'm confused about paper/cardstock. How important are things like text vs cover, don't know the difference. And weight 26, 80, 110 lb dose that matter. I'm sure those things are important but can someone point me in the right place to find out? Thanks Linda

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Linda,
A 110lb or 120lb card stock is usually used as a base for a card because it is very strong. Also if you use the GKD card stock 120lb and alcohol markers, you can directly color on the card stock and it will not bleed (see the coloring on the other side). The 80lb card stock can also be used as a card base but will be less strong. It is perfect for layering (having different color layers) which embellish the card. To cut or die cut, the 80lb is also perfect if you use a die cut machine or an electronic machine such as silhouette or cricut. Creating background such as the pillow technique where you use a scor pal or scor buddy is easier on an 80lb card stock. Embossing and embossing folder are great on both card stock, but in my opinion looks nicer on an 80lb because you might have more details and more colors.
Linda, hopefully I could answer your question. Just try by yourself with different card stock thickness. You will definitely understand and feeling the difference.
Another example: again it is my opinion, if you like to make or create little gift boxes, use the 110lb or 120lb, the box will be stronger. It also works with the 80lb, with the 65 or less it might be wick and not as strong.
I recommend to you to buy different thickness of card stock and play with them. It will become clear to you.
There also are very good videos explaining the difference between 120 and 80lb card stock on you tube. You might want to check there.
Thank you Anne for responding you have cleared this up some for me. I am disabled and decided to start making cards to occupy my time...not really thinking about the fact I know next to nothing about it. I found stamp tv not sure how but have been adding to my supplies and making simple cards. but the paper thing has just had me confused. So thank you again I appreciate your advice. And I'll give a go at looking on you tube.


Anne S. said:
Linda,
A 110lb or 120lb card stock is usually used as a base for a card because it is very strong. Also if you use the GKD card stock 120lb and alcohol markers, you can directly color on the card stock and it will not bleed (see the coloring on the other side). The 80lb card stock can also be used as a card base but will be less strong. It is perfect for layering (having different color layers) which embellish the card. To cut or die cut, the 80lb is also perfect if you use a die cut machine or an electronic machine such as silhouette or cricut. Creating background such as the pillow technique where you use a scor pal or scor buddy is easier on an 80lb card stock. Embossing and embossing folder are great on both card stock, but in my opinion looks nicer on an 80lb because you might have more details and more colors.
Linda, hopefully I could answer your question. Just try by yourself with different card stock thickness. You will definitely understand and feeling the difference.
Another example: again it is my opinion, if you like to make or create little gift boxes, use the 110lb or 120lb, the box will be stronger. It also works with the 80lb, with the 65 or less it might be wick and not as strong.
I recommend to you to buy different thickness of card stock and play with them. It will become clear to you.

If you are going to shop with Gina, you will have good quality paper.  The weight of the heavy base cardstock is 100 or 120 lb and is very good.  The layering cardstock is 80.  If you live near Hobby Lobby and try their paper, their heavy cardstock is 100 lb and the regular cardstock is less than 80.  Try a kit from Gina and you will be happy.  That way, you can stamp along with the videos and make wonderful cards.  

Thank you Anne and lovin! 

So glad to have you here Linda and they have answered your questions perfectly!!  :D

Hi Linda and Welcome to the group. We are happy that you have joined us. Gina has wonderful videos here that you can learn to make different cards from. I'm disabled to and I make the cards to keep busy plus it's a lot of fun.

Thanks Kathleen for the welcome I appreciate your kindness. Well keeping busy and having fun at the same time was what got me into this. I work very slow so it takes me quite a bit to finish a card. But, I worry some about it being good enough to give someone so that slows down things too. Thanks again have fun and God bless.



Kathleen said:

Hi Linda and Welcome to the group. We are happy that you have joined us. Gina has wonderful videos here that you can learn to make different cards from. I'm disabled to and I make the cards to keep busy plus it's a lot of fun.

Hi, thanks for the information. I have ordered some pattern paper and what I hope is cardstock to go with it from Gina. I've been looking at her kits just cautious I suppose. But, yes my plan is to get supplies from Gina as I'm. No longer allowed to drive. I appreciate the helpful comments from all these nice ladies. I'll do my best to not drive you all crazy with questions. God bless



lovinpaper said:

If you are going to shop with Gina, you will have good quality paper.  The weight of the heavy base cardstock is 100 or 120 lb and is very good.  The layering cardstock is 80.  If you live near Hobby Lobby and try their paper, their heavy cardstock is 100 lb and the regular cardstock is less than 80.  Try a kit from Gina and you will be happy.  That way, you can stamp along with the videos and make wonderful cards.  

Thank you Cat for checking on me. God bless



Cat, GKD DT/Moderator said:

Thank you Anne and lovin! 

So glad to have you here Linda and they have answered your questions perfectly!!  :D

Linda - Ask all the questions you need to, we are happy to answer. As you found out, someone will usually answer you pretty quickly and if not it means we do not know the answer but are trying to find the answer for you.

I would like to add that we have three different places for you to post things and they are - Ask the Mods(moderators),Ask the Community(meaning all of us) and Suggestion Box(anyone can suggest something) If you could please post on them in the future that would be very helpful. Thank you

Linda, some people look at a handmade card, have no clue what goes into them and just toss them.  MOST people, however, absolutely love that you took the time to make something special for them and will treasure it.  Don't worry if it is "good enough".  We notice our mistakes and think our cards aren't good enough, but other people just see amazing art and love.

Linda Batson said:

Thanks Kathleen for the welcome I appreciate your kindness. Well keeping busy and having fun at the same time was what got me into this. I work very slow so it takes me quite a bit to finish a card. But, I worry some about it being good enough to give someone so that slows down things too. Thanks again have fun and God bless.



Kathleen said:

Hi Linda and Welcome to the group. We are happy that you have joined us. Gina has wonderful videos here that you can learn to make different cards from. I'm disabled to and I make the cards to keep busy plus it's a lot of fun.

Golda thank you very much for your words of encouragement. Today is not a good day and they came at just the right time. I appreciate you reaching out to me.


Golda said:

Linda, some people look at a handmade card, have no clue what goes into them and just toss them.  MOST people, however, absolutely love that you took the time to make something special for them and will treasure it.  Don't worry if it is "good enough".  We notice our mistakes and think our cards aren't good enough, but other people just see amazing art and love.

Linda Batson said:

Thanks Kathleen for the welcome I appreciate your kindness. Well keeping busy and having fun at the same time was what got me into this. I work very slow so it takes me quite a bit to finish a card. But, I worry some about it being good enough to give someone so that slows down things too. Thanks again have fun and God bless.



Kathleen said:

Hi Linda and Welcome to the group. We are happy that you have joined us. Gina has wonderful videos here that you can learn to make different cards from. I'm disabled to and I make the cards to keep busy plus it's a lot of fun.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service