stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

I am in the process of attempting to organize my stamp sets. I have them in the stamp storage binders but I need to organize them so I can find the stamp(s) I want more easily than going through every binder as I have 18. So I am asking you,  How do you organize your stamps??

Here is a picture of my stamp shelf with paper inserts I cut out of 2 sheets of matching scrapbook paper. The first one contains spellbinder dies, and I need to add a second. ( I have extra inserts cut so I can continue to add more boxes)

Tags: organizing

Views: 5479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bawhahahahaha, Diane, you cracked me up!

Some of the gals have said that their hubby's call their craft room:  and, excuse my French, crap rooms.  OMGosh, that causes raucous laughter amongst those of us, who know why.  LOL

I do a great job "talking" about the purging and tidying up, but, some days...honestly, I would rather get a beating than go through that stuff. 
I keep making little piles of "oh, I can't donate THIS", then, the next day, go in there and just toss it in the donate box.  BTW...I started out with a donate baggie, it's grown into a BOX!!!  OMGosh, I am a mess.  LOL

Well, I try.  ha.  Like Yoda says...don't try, do!!!  Famous last words. 

I used to keep a ton of scraps, and that got old.  Now, I only keep a card panel size "scrap".  Unless there is a build up of strips by my trimmer, then, I will make a card using the strips on the diagonal, and go with that.  OR, I would have a huge pile of scraps.  You know what?  I NEVER go looking through the scrap piles, I always trim a size I need.

I used to make tons of Spellbinder circles and ovals, and such, and now, I don't.  Those are in the donate box, as well.  I don't go in there looking, when it's easy to just make a new one.  Egads, is this just me?  I hope not.

Ever go to those Craft Room Tour videos on YouTube?  I cringe when I see how empty the surfaces are, and, of course, every die and stamp set, neatly tucked into specified areas.  Who are these people?  How can they do that, with success?

Well, I kept quiet out of embarrassment, yet, more and more, people are sharing the "real story of their craft room" and I came right out of the closet!!!  AND, glad to share.  I guess I have no shame anymore, getting too old, or something.  LOL

So, yeah, there it is...all out in the open!  Too funny. 

Thanks for being so open, and letting me join in with my own stories.  It helps my ego.  What little I have left!  LOL

BTW, MY husband doesn't say a word, or, I just point out the garage!  ha.  I call him a "hoarder", but, really we are too much alike.  He is in his tossing stage out there, he got a couple new tools, so, yeah, he is tossing out stuff. LOL

The rest of our home, is NOT like that.  Funny, isn't it?  Like our little secrets!  ha.

Later.............................................................................................

Diane Tate said:

Now you've got my interest up! It is nice knowing there are " others " out there. My husband looks and just shivers! Shakes his head and walks away without even asking the question he was going to ask. Kinda flips him out because I'm such a neat freak with the rest of the house. He goes around calling me Sybil!!!! LOL
I bet my room is worse than yours! How can we exchange pictures? Be fun to let our friends decide!

YIKES, woman!  I have done "some" purging...but, I am game if you are!  LOL  How funny is this?  We are hoping to have the WORST craft room?  I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone or something.  Too funny.

Well, I have a 3 hour appointment today, so I may have to wait till tomorrow to post a "picture", which will NOT be for the faint of heart!!!  teehee

Diane, you are hysterical, MY kind of gal!  LOL

I have several Groups that I want to read and comment, then....

I'm off to get prepared for my appointment!!!  So, talk at you later???

Diane Tate said:

I bet my room is worse than yours! How can we exchange pictures? Be fun to let our friends decide!

I've been working on setting up my blog for the past few days and just finished my post on how I store my stamps.  

Click HERE to see the post on my blog (http://iplayedwithpapertoday.wordpress.com/).

(I still have A LOT of work to do on my blog; I just have a few posts so far, but I'm excited that I finally got around to doing this!)

Woo Hoo! Congrats on starting your blog. You're off to a great start. I really enjoyed your detailed post about stamp storage. Also enjoyed taking a quick look at your post on your craft room. What a great looking space. I'll check it out in more detail when I have more time to really study it and get some ideas for my own space. I signed up to be a follower so I won't miss anything.

Lisa Babitz said:

I've been working on setting up my blog for the past few days and just finished my post on how I store my stamps.  

Click HERE to see the post on my blog (http://iplayedwithpapertoday.wordpress.com/).

(I still have A LOT of work to do on my blog; I just have a few posts so far, but I'm excited that I finally got around to doing this!)

I. Love.Your. Blog! Lisa, great ideas for storage and organization, I feel inspired now. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Babitz said:

AWESOME BLOG!!!  I bookmarked it after reading everything.  You have great ideas for storage.  I love that you used what you had first, them shopped.  Genius using the changing table!

Lisa Babitz said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Oh lordy, does time fly!!! I can't believe it's been a year and a half when I first started my stamp organization project.  Well, 20 binder boxes later along with a 3-ring loose-leaf (of course my OCD made me buy the extra-wide binder and extra-wide dividers to accommodate the sheet protectors that I just HAD to use, LOL) I have, more or less, finished.  I posted information on my blog and shared on my Facebook community page, PaperCrafting Community.

Here's a pic of my binder boxes:

And my Index:

Link to my blog: Crafty Creations, and my Facebook page: PaperCrafting Community. Both sites have more pictures and details of how I organized everything.

Wishing all of you a happy, healthy, safe new years'!

Tracy Palmer said:

This is an old discussion thread, but I wanted to ask the STV community for more feedback...  I purchased the binder boxes to (finally) organize all my STV stamps, which up until now I have stacked in several of those pretty paper boxes you see everywhere.  I got so tired of sifting through the boxes, looking for stamps (and inspiration LOL) so I bit the bullet and bought 12 binder boxes.  Honestly I thought that would be more than enough and I'd have a couple to spare :-0  Uh oh,  I may be a closeted GKD stamp hoarder because 12 boxes was not enough LOL...

Anyhoo - I have been going over and over in my head, which would be the best way to store /organize my stamps.  First option I'm considering is keeping the stamp sets together and then creating a separate index for topics, themes, etc.  

Then I'm thinking, it might be better to organize / group them by what they are (i.e. butterflys, phrases, sentiments, holiday, birthday) and create a separate index of each image and what stamp set they are from.

I also plan to do a lot of cross referencing in the index and numbering the binder boxes.

I would love to hear from my fellow stampers that use the binder boxes for storage, which method they use - 1. keep the stamp sets together, or 2. store the stamps by type (birthday, holiday, phrase, sentiment) OR - maybe there's another way to organize that I'm not thinking of.

Thanks!  Looking forward to hearing about any tips / suggestions / comments

I got an e-mail update on this thread and just laughed when I saw it.    The age old problem of storing and cataloging our stamps so they can actually be used!!!  

I did find something that works for me and I'll share - it's a program called Evernote.   You can use this program with any storage system that you have.    I kept the bulk of my stamps in CD cases (the old thicker ones), I have them in racks and they are numbered (1 to 540, yes I did say 540 and that's only the CD cases).   I've kind of moved away from the cases because I can't find the racks anymore.   I moved to the Jennifer McGuire system of the Avery Elle plastic bags.

I scan each stamp set that I have and it gets a number.   If it's Gina K, it's gets a GK1, GK2 # and I import the picture into Evernote.   Background stamps start with "B", and any other stamp sets have an "A" designation.       I have a picture of the whole stamp set with the number location in the program.   I add tags to help me locate birthday, Christmas, thank you, along with animals, flowers, buttons, bows, etc.   When I'm looking for a birthday stamp, I put "birthday" into the search field and all my stamps that pertain to birthday come up, even balloons, birthday cake, candles, etc.    I can look at the stamp set and decide if I really want that one, and when I find ones that work, I just pull the CD case or plastic bag and do my thing.   When I'm done, the stamps go back in numerical order to be pulled the next time I need one.   The beauty of this is that you don't have to have a book of birthday stamps that need rearranging when the binder gets full, and if you get rid of a stamp set, you just delete the number and reassign it when you get a new set.  As you get a new stamp set, you just give it the next number and the next open space.

I also have my dies and embossing folders cataloged in the program so that I can find exactly what I'm looking for.   The best part is that I'm not limited to a specific type of storage.   The program tells me exactly where to find the searched for item as part of the title.  I can have some of my large Sizzix dies in boxes and the thinner Spellbinder type in the Avery Elle plastic.  

The program is not expensive - and it's relatively easy to learn.  There are You Tube videos to help.   I don't get any credit for recommending it, I've just found it immensely helpful to me and want to share.   If anyone else is using it, let me know how you like it.

Love all these ideas. They are much better than my old suitcases labeled nature stamps and holiday stamps! I look forward to shopping in 2016!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service