stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

I am unhappy with the results of foiling the toner printed sentiments and snowflake card stock I purchased from Gina k designs. Tried the scotch brand laminator I had and didn't like the results. Too many spots didn't take the foil. Then I bought the laminator Gina used on her video. Ran the foil and snowflake card stock through 3 and 4 times, right side up, upside down, 3mil setting, 5mil setting, added a shim, used parchment paper as a transfer, used no transfer, used iCraft foil and Heidi Swapp. Could not get rid of the black toner spots. Any ideas on what else I can try?

Views: 952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Miriam, you had the same results I did.  Many people have been purchasing the Mini-Minc machine and get better results.  You might check in the Foiling Group for other ideas and help.  (I gave up and sold everything I had as I do not need the stress.)  Good Luck.

I tried my iron on the highest setting, but no water or steam.  This worked the best for me. However, I was only testing it out.  I haven't actually tried this with making a card yet.  Just make sure you protect your work surface. 

I have only used the Deco Foil by Thermoweb and it works perfect for me every time.  Make sure the laminator is really hot.  I heat mine for at least 10 minutes before foiling.  I use the Royal Sovereign on the 3 mil setting.  

Are you letting your laminator heat up for about 15 minutes, before you use it?  Sounds like you rushed and it wasn't hot enough.

The laminator really needs to be warmed up before you use it. If it's not hot enough, you will get spots. Also, make sure you are using either really, really thin copy paper or the deco foil parchment paper. You need as much hear as possible. Shimming it will reduce heat and it won't work well. Also, if you have any glitter, embossing powder or other dust on the foil-mates, you may run into trouble. Make sure they are dust free. If I have lots of powder and glitter and stuff around my area, I rub over the foil mate with a swiffer first to make sure it's dust free. 

I got mine on Amazon several months ago.  I think it was only $19.

judy mathena said:


where did you get your Royal Sovereign laminator at? I have the Scotch brand, and it does good as long as I send them through twice, but it's getting ready to die on me.........lol for I've had it a long time. I would like to get a better one, but don't know where to purchase them at. Thanks in advance.
Debrah Warner said:

I have only used the Deco Foil by Thermoweb and it works perfect for me every time.  Make sure the laminator is really hot.  I heat mine for at least 10 minutes before foiling.  I use the Royal Sovereign on the 3 mil setting.  

I have both, the scotch one and the royal sovereign. I did buy the royal sovereigh on amazon because the scotch didn't work at all, and I did try everything: warming up 20min, running thru several time, using only deco foil by thermo web, 3mil and 5mil, worn and without the parchement paper, nothing to do with the scotch one ( was brand new!!!) and impossible to get an acceptable foiling result. I just ended up buying the sovereign one and since it works perfectly every single time. I am happy I bought the sovereign one, sold the other one. Just sharing experience.....



Gina Krupsky said:

The laminator really needs to be warmed up before you use it. If it's not hot enough, you will get spots. Also, make sure you are using either really, really thin copy paper or the deco foil parchment paper. You need as much hear as possible. Shimming it will reduce heat and it won't work well. Also, if you have any glitter, embossing powder or other dust on the foil-mates, you may run into trouble. Make sure they are dust free. If I have lots of powder and glitter and stuff around my area, I rub over the foil mate with a swiffer first to make sure it's dust free. 



miriam jenkins said:



Gina Krupsky said:

The laminator really needs to be warmed up before you use it. If it's not hot enough, you will get spots. Also, make sure you are using either really, really thin copy paper or the deco foil parchment paper. You need as much hear as possible. Shimming it will reduce heat and it won't work well. Also, if you have any glitter, embossing powder or other dust on the foil-mates, you may run into trouble. Make sure they are dust free. If I have lots of powder and glitter and stuff around my area, I rub over the foil mate with a swiffer first to make sure it's dust free. 



lovinpaper said:

Miriam, you had the same results I did.  Many people have been purchasing the Mini-Minc machine and get better results.  You might check in the Foiling Group for other ideas and help.  (I gave up and sold everything I had as I do not need the stress.)  Good Luck.



Debrah Warner said:

I got mine on Amazon several months ago.  I think it was only $19.

judy mathena said:


where did you get your Royal Sovereign laminator at? I have the Scotch brand, and it does good as long as I send them through twice, but it's getting ready to die on me.........lol for I've had it a long time. I would like to get a better one, but don't know where to purchase them at. Thanks in advance.
Debrah Warner said:

I have only used the Deco Foil by Thermoweb and it works perfect for me every time.  Make sure the laminator is really hot.  I heat mine for at least 10 minutes before foiling.  I use the Royal Sovereign on the 3 mil setting.  

Miriam here.......

I have tried all of the suggestions with the same unacceptable results.  Don't want to try the toner preprinted cardstock designs and sentiments on a THIRD laminator!  

Many thanks to all of you who responded. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service