stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

Greetings!

I would like to purchase an electric cutting system and I can’t decide which one to buy.  Silhouette Cameo, Cricut Explore Air, or the Brother ScanNCut.  I don’t make scrapbook pages but I do make a lot of cards.  I want to be able to scan and cut a stamped image, cut text, shapes and lacy designs.  Perhaps I would want to cut vinyl or fabric in the future, but not certain of this.

Which machine do you love and why do you love it? 

Did you buy a machine that you ended up returning?  What didn’t you like about it?  Or do you have a machine that is sitting on a shelf and you think it was a total waste of money.  

I have watched videos of machine reviews and have to say the reviews are very mixed.  

I thought I’d query my trusted Stamp TV family and get your opinion.  I look forward to hearing about your recommendations. 

Thanks in advance!  Debbie

Tags: Cutting, Electronic, Machine, System, cut, scan

Views: 1085

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most definitely the Silhouette Cameo!! Absolutely love it! As Anna said its sizing ability etc make it well worth the price. And there are heaps of tutorials on the net to help you learn it all. :-)

I've been through them all.  Sold the Cricut Expression to get the Silhouette Cameo.  Am selling the Cameo because I just ordered a Scan N Cut.  There is a way to cut your stamped images with the Silhouette, but that process and I didn't get along, for lack of patience on my part.  I want the Scan N Cut because I want it to do exactly what it's name says.  Scan.  Then cut.  The end.  :D

Cindy, I have the Scan N Cut and love it just for stamping an image and cutting it! Also, scan the pdf files in freebies from Gina and can cut them. You can also convert in Canvas from svg to SNC - it's a free online program. Also had a Cricut and never used it. To get a good clean cut using GK paper, set the dial to a higher number, just a tip as you get started with it.

Thanks.. I've been watching a bunch of videos, too..  Now if only they'd get around to bothering to ship it....

I am probably the only one here that owns a klick and kut Zing I love it . I also own a cricut explore love it too!

They both have there uses. I find the knk easy to use when you want to do a scan and cut.

There is a learning curve as with most machines,

however learning all the ends and outs of any machine is worth it. It gives

you more versatility with your crafts.

Good luck on what you choose and enjoy it. 

I have had a Cricut Explore since it came out last year and I love it.  I understand the Silhouette is wonderful, but my Explore is so easy to use.  I use it mainly to cut vinyl and place it on canvas or tile.  I can design and cut about anything I want.  It cuts very intricate designs, both in paper and vinyl.  It is super easy to design on my computer and size to whatever I need.   Just putting my two cents in.  I think, if it were me, I would use Gina's vote myself.

Just as a note, even though I use my Explore every day for my business, I still use my Cuttlebug with thin dies the most for making cards.  Cutting with a machine does not give you the embossed edges that you get using thin dies.  Just thought I would throw that in.  I got the Cuttlebug for Christmas last year and didn't think I would use it as much as I do - both for embossing and for cutting.

Glad you said that!!!

I agree....it was worth mentioning that the electronic cutting machines do NOT emboss! 

I prefer to have BOTH: Slhouette Cameo and my Cuttlebug!

ae Lutte said:

Just as a note, even though I use my Explore every day for my business, I still use my Cuttlebug with thin dies the most for making cards.  Cutting with a machine does not give you the embossed edges that you get using thin dies.  Just thought I would throw that in.  I got the Cuttlebug for Christmas last year and didn't think I would use it as much as I do - both for embossing and for cutting.

Actually, I believe the Cricut Explore, and the newest Silhouette machine both state they emboss....

I don't know how the Explore could emboss.  It does have the ability to score, but that's it.  There are certainly no directions for embossing.  I don't know about the Silhouette. Hope I'm wrong!  It would be great to be able to emboss with it!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FOnbya4_g - Embossing with the Cricut Explore

http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/2015/01/embossing-with-sihouett... - Embossing with the Silhouette Cameo (thru Silhouette School).  I believe the newest Silhouette has it's own tip now.

The Circut and I'm thinking the Silhouette can emboss with a stylist, just like you can draw with the Cricut with a pen in a special holder. You can't emboss with a folder - you need to run it through a roller, and the Cricut doesn't have a roller. To use folders you need a Cuttlebug, Big Shot, etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service