stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

Lengthy but please read because I need feedback big time.

So my husband called me tonight on his way home from work and said that our business tax obligation was less than half what he had estimated it would be.  He knows I've wanted to purchase some Copic Sketch markers for forever!  I've got a large set of Prismacolors which are great for one color coloring and I love the boldness of them.  I also have a nice set of the Bic Mark It's too that Gina uses and I equally love those.  It just depends on what I'm doing to decide which ones to use and for the most part, I don't delve into too much blending techniques because these two brands are not as friendly when it comes to that technique.  So...I downloaded an adorable fairy image and though I was able to color her dress pretty good with blending with Bics, the Bics, nor the Prismacolors had the right colors for the skin.  I went on ebay and bought a 6 pack skin tones set and WOW!  They are most DEFINITELY the Cadillac of markers.  I could not believe the ease and friendliness of them!  The skin on my fairy turned out wonderful!!!  (I attached a picture of her on my Smash Book) :-P

Anyway, with all of that said, my husband asked me how much they were.  I said, well, I know of three 72 piece sets that are available (I didn't realize that the D set was available yet) and expressed that they are roughly $350 per set.  He said to order all three!  So...I had to post here to find out what those who own some or all of them might suggest.  Is it worth me "big spending" and buying all of those three sets or not?  If not, how do I know which ones to buy?  I don't want to grow out of my initial purchase which is why I am currently leaning towards getting all three but at the same time, I don't want to purchase $1000 worth of markers that I may not use all of.  I am a super cautious shopper and depend on consumer reviews so hopefully I can get enough feedback from folks here and a couple of other resources that I can make a purchase I feel comfortable purchase.

Views: 2660

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THUD! Me...hitting the floor LOL
First, I would check out Oozak.com. They have the best pricing and for that money you could get almost all of the copics.
I didn't purchase mne by sets but chose the colors I wanted instead ....also, you don't need every color...you can skip colors
For example in the reds....you don't really need R27 28 And 29

Hope this helped....let us know what you decided (-:

Idon't have a whole lot but a bunch (HA as if any one knows the difference between alot and a bunch). but I got some from HobbyLobby using the 40% coupon, and bought a bunch for different projects from Joannes when they were 40% off. I wish I could just buy them all but even if I did have all the $ in the world I think I would still look for a sale or coupon. It's in my blood. So what I would suggest is maybe purchase as you go as you "need". (I need to have 60+ nesties). Have fun!

Oh my gosh Linda. I hope you made it off the floor okay! LOL!  I almost did the same thing but luckily I was sitting down when he called me to tell me that. :-)

And Robin...us paper crafters MUST know what a whole lot and a bunch are! LOL!  When you used your 40% off, I'm assuming you had to use them on a set?  I LOVE coupons and if I decide to buy in a set, then I will most definitely check out that option.  I didn't think you could use 40% off coupons on certain things, Copics being included but if so, that's awesome!

I'm still so torn.  I'm doing some online research for beginner Copic purchases so hopefully once I do that, I'll be able to come to a comfortable end result.  If I decide to go with individual markers, I know I'm going to end up spending more per marker than I would if I bought a set so I'm thinking that if hubby is saying I have a $1000 budget that I can use however I see fit, then I will spend most of it on Copics but I am in need of some other things to open up my options for new techniques that I've wanted to try for a while.  There are some Gina K stamps I'd like and some of her heavy paper and there are some other sites that I would love to purchase stamps from.  So...we shall see how this pans out.  I hope more folks can come by and give me advice though as I research all of this. I think I'll start out by printing out a color chart of all of the colors.  :o)

LOOOKIE what I just found!!!

http://www.periodstyle.com/COPIC-Sketch-72-Markers-CUSTOM-Boxed-Set...

I think they just sold me on a 72 box set!  I can't WAIT to pick out my own colors!!! And the pricing on them is just as good as the prices on Oozak that folks have recommended to me.  Going this route not only lets me get what colors I want, but since my husband has informed me that the $1000 is to be budgeted as I see fit, then this still leaves me over $600 to buy either fill in Copics or other paper craft supplies!!!  SOOOOO flippin excited!  WHOO HOO!  Lol!

I am a very cautious shopper too. I only have a few and I've gotten mine at Carpe Diem. I checked everywhere that was suggested and this store was the least expensive. Now, here's the catch...put the markers that you want in your cart and the price is always less than it is when on display. For example, one individual marker was listed as $5.24 and when I put it in my cart is was $4.75. Sets in cart 12pc - $57, 36pc - $171 and 72pc - $342. I haven't found better prices anywhere. Even though the "sets" aren't custom, at this price you could just order as many as you like and still get a dynamite price. Good luck...I'm jealous. :-)

I just wanted to share with you guys my snazzy little chart I made for myself after I picked out my colors.  I spent over an hour picking all of them and I am saving soooo much more money by doing it this way and I got to pick the colors I wanted myself and they will total a 72 and 36 color set.  :-D  <~~~ BIG CHEESE EATING GRIN!!!!  I get to order them tomorrow night and with free shipping, I think I'll just maybe splurge on overnight! LOL!!

Attachments:

Hi,

I have about 230 sketch markers mostly bought in sets of three-blending family-light tone, mid tone and dark(shading)tone.

I would reccommend checking Color Me Copic, Daily Marker, Card Cream or Heather's Hobbie Heaven. ( a few of my favorites, there are so many more!) Most of these sights have "color combo" suggestions as well as great tutorials.

I was not aware that you could get custom sets-that's great! Once you start working with Copics you'll be hooked. You'll

want all the colors.

Good luck and happy coloring! 

Heather - which store did you go with where they let you choose your colors?

Thanks, Rosy

Heather Herrmann said:

I just wanted to share with you guys my snazzy little chart I made for myself after I picked out my colors.  I spent over an hour picking all of them and I am saving soooo much more money by doing it this way and I got to pick the colors I wanted myself and they will total a 72 and 36 color set.  :-D  <~~~ BIG CHEESE EATING GRIN!!!!  I get to order them tomorrow night and with free shipping, I think I'll just maybe splurge on overnight! LOL!!

Thanks Marsha. Im watching tutorials now. Lol!

Hey Rosy. If you scroll up a couple of posts in this thread, there is a link to the site. Its called periodstyle.com. You just click on copics and scroll down until you see the custom sets.

Ok - thanks Heather!

Heather Herrmann said:

Thanks Marsha. Im watching tutorials now. Lol!

Hey Rosy. If you scroll up a couple of posts in this thread, there is a link to the site. Its called periodstyle.com. You just click on copics and scroll down until you see the custom sets.

Hi Heather - I recently took a copic class and the instructor - Lori Craig - has a site that explains a lot about copics, but the best one is Marianne Walker who has some charts and suggestions on what colors/numbers are the best to start with.  I've been buying mine - project by project - using coupons (& sales) so it's definitely slow going, but oh so worth it.  Go to Copic.com and click on classes/instructors and it will take you to the various sites I mentioned.  Also, I found it defintely worth taking the class (beginers) because they go over a lot of the basic techniques and their numbering system - plus you meet some really nice folks and get some freebies....good luck!  Maybe use the left over $s for a class ($120)

oops - copicmarker.com:

http://www.copicmarker.com/certification

http://www.copicmarker.com/certification/standard

Marianne Walker:  http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/

Lori Craig: http://loricraig.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/

Tracy Palmer said:

Hi Heather - I recently took a copic class and the instructor - Lori Craig - has a site that explains a lot about copics, but the best one is Marianne Walker who has some charts and suggestions on what colors/numbers are the best to start with.  I've been buying mine - project by project - using coupons (& sales) so it's definitely slow going, but oh so worth it.  Go to Copic.com and click on classes/instructors and it will take you to the various sites I mentioned.  Also, I found it defintely worth taking the class (beginers) because they go over a lot of the basic techniques and their numbering system - plus you meet some really nice folks and get some freebies....good luck!  Maybe use the left over $s for a class ($120)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service