stampTV

Card making, rubber stamping techniques and project videos for papercrafters

Howdy!

I am not prepared at this time to start buying Copic markers so am trying to decide which way to go as far as adding color to my stamped images.

I have watercolor pencils, and colored pencils and chalks. Do any of you use these methods and do you have any pros or cons to any of them?

Views: 396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They all are great.  I personally probably will never go with the alcohol markers due to expense. I really like watercolor pencils and I have been using chalks lately too.  They both blend well.  Chalks are really especially neat because you can apply them dry, they blend really easily and erase easily too.  Or you can apply them with a dove blending pen.  You will want to use a fixative or hairspray if you use them dry.

Watercolor pencils are really great too.  You can color them lightly around the edge of your image and then blend in with water, or you can use your wet brush to get the color right off the pencil and then paint them on.  

You may want to look at youtube and watch tuturials for all your products and then practice and see what you like.  There are plenty of colored pencil tutorials too (dry or blending with gamsol or baby oil, actually Gina has videos on these.)  I would use what you have before buying anything new.  

For inexpensive alcohol markers, I like Bic.  Gina has a few videos where she uses Bic and they work great.  I began with Bic and still love them.  For Copic, there are two markers I reach for a lot.  They are the Colorless Blender and the Cool Shadow.  Gina uses these quite a bit and along with the Bic, you could be set without spending a lot of money.

I also love my colored pencils, both regular and watercolor.  For my watercolor, I often use a blender pen, like the Dove one that is sold here.  For regular colored pencils, I am loving odorless mineral spirits, or Gamsol (same thing).  I use a jar with a sponge in the bottom and press my blending stump into the sponge to pick up the mineral spirits, then color in circles on my project.  Gina has some great videos on this method and she explains way better than I do.  

Enjoy your coloring!

I actually watched the videos on colored pencils and have been experimenting today with all the different ways. Just thought I'd ask here, too. I hardly ever see anyone mention chalk and I have some "cream chalks" which I think look very nice and they're  easier for me to apply than colored pencils are. They are a very soft look.

I love the look of watercolor and have done some experimenting today also with some neat methods shown in the current Cardmaker mag. (Hope it's ok to mention that- that's where I learned about GKD, actually). The look with watercolor stamping is so impressionistic looking- I love it!

The Copics look lovely but for me, I'd prefer to use something I have a save my money for the kits! ;)

I second (third?) Bic Mark-Its..  I would buy them), and then also buy one Copic, which is the 0 Colorless Blender.  Then, just stamp a bunch of images, and play.  I've tried both watercolor pencils, and chalks, and personally, they just didn't do it for me.

They have fine point, and ultra fine point, so depending on the types of images you're coloring, you may want to get both.  They're very inexpesive, compared to Copic.

There's also Spectrum Noir markers, which are sold in palette sets, and I want to say each set is about $10-15.  Those are good if you do a lot of florals...

I do do a lot of florals, Cindy and Spectrum Noir rings a bell for some reason. I haven't ever heard of the Bic Mark-Its. I have to get ready as my A Year of Flowers is winging its way to me very soon.

Thanks for your info, gals!

Catherine, I also just love the look of watercolor.  I'm glad you are experimenting.  I hope you will share some of your work :)

I have the cream chalks on my wish list!  I think they would be fun.  Plus a whole set of chalks is so inexpensive.

I agree with those who suggest the bic mark-its.  I have them, usually for school projects.  I saw the "frugal crafter" suggest that if you buy those, and some of the very light alcohol art markers and a colorless blender (copics, promarkers, etc) that would be a cheaper way to get into them.  The bics are all dark colors. 

I have tried some of the spectrum noirs and was unhappy with them. They dry out WAY too quickly and that is a common problem.  I heard they came out with a second generation that don't dry out, but I am not sure those are available in the US.  

Ok ladies- you are killing me here! Just ordered a 36'er of Bic and a blender pen.How can there still be more stuff I don't have ?????

Just received my Year of Flowers book..and all I can say is wow! I adore flowers, they are my favey thing for cards and each one of these cards is more beautiful than the one before it. This was a very good purchase for me. I had had my eye on that book/set for some time when amazon sent me an email telling me I had a credit just almost exactly the cost of the book- so that was a complete no-brainer!

I am going to be a busy little bee once the stamp set arrives. I have already picked out the one I want to do for Easter cards- a lot of masking, etc so this will keep me out of trouble for a while. 

I wish I could share my work, but I don't own a camera. Or a smart phone. Unless there's some other way for me to send a pic, I can't share just now. Bummer, I know but you can't have everything, n'est- ce pas?

Come on stamp set!! I'm ready!

Catherine, do you have a scanner?  I used to use mine until I figured out how to upload pictures from my digital camera. Just be sure to crop your scan close to the card size.

Catherine Stewart said:

Ok ladies- you are killing me here! Just ordered a 36'er of Bic and a blender pen.How can there still be more stuff I don't have ?????

Just received my Year of Flowers book..and all I can say is wow! I adore flowers, they are my favey thing for cards and each one of these cards is more beautiful than the one before it. This was a very good purchase for me. I had had my eye on that book/set for some time when amazon sent me an email telling me I had a credit just almost exactly the cost of the book- so that was a complete no-brainer!

I am going to be a busy little bee once the stamp set arrives. I have already picked out the one I want to do for Easter cards- a lot of masking, etc so this will keep me out of trouble for a while. 

I wish I could share my work, but I don't own a camera. Or a smart phone. Unless there's some other way for me to send a pic, I can't share just now. Bummer, I know but you can't have everything, n'est- ce pas?

Come on stamp set!! I'm ready!

Catherine, Do you have a printer with a scanner? I wonder if you could scan your card and get it onto your computer and then load it onto stamptv. I scan family photos to put onto my computer. It might be worth trying. Don't know but just a suggestion to try maybe. 

Haha, Nana, great minds think alike, LOL!

Nana Griffin said:

Catherine, Do you have a printer with a scanner? I wonder if you could scan your card and get it onto your computer and then load it onto stamptv. I scan family photos to put onto my computer. It might be worth trying. Don't know but just a suggestion to try maybe. 

As said before all are great.  Just bought some copic and am thrilled with them but one day when I was practicing with colored pencils and using mineral spirits I accidentally used a group of water color pencils with the spirits and I loved the effect.  Thought they blended better then color pencils.

Good morning ladies!

I do not have a scanner on my printer. Used to- but that printer died and my new one doesn't have one since I never used it anyhow.

Good thing I experimented yesterday. I won't be using colored pencils- the pressure required with them had my elbow and shoulder waking me most of the night. Good thing I got the markers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Gina Krupsky.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service